Vittoriosa

Official Priory Name:  The Annunciation 

History of the Priory: The Dominicans settled in Vittoriosa in 1528 after they were given a chapel dedicated to “The Annunciation” which belonged to some lay members.  Two years later, the knights of the Order of St. John arrived in Malta and declared Vittoriosa as the capital city.  They took over the parish church and in the middle of the following century, the Dominican Church dedicated to The Annunciation served as the Parish Church in Vittoriosa.  It was from here that the Dominican friars, in 1569, decided to open a another house in the new capital city of Valletta which served as the first parish church of the city.  In the 16th century, the Dominicans also had a "general study" (or University) in Vittoriosa.  In 1941, during the Second World War, the enemy bombs destroyed both the Church of The Annunciation and the priory.  These were rebuilt twenty years later.  Nowadays, the pastoral work carried out by the Dominicans in Vittoriosa covers also the areas of Cospicua, Senglea, the shipyard and the prison.

Prior: Rev. Frank Borg OP

Official Telephone: 21 825198

Official Fax: 21 807040

Mass Schedule for weekdays: 6.30a.m., 7.30a.m., 10.00a.m., 6.15p.m.

Mass Schedule for Sundays and Feast Days: 7.00a.m., 8.00a.m., 10.00a.m., 12.00pm