Official Priory Name:  Our Lady of the Grotto

History of the Priory: A Maltese priest, Rev. Pietru Zurchi, established the Dominican Priory and the Church dedicated to Our Lady of the Grotto in 1450.  This priory was built with the help of the Maltese Government, the ecclesiastical authority, money donated by Maltese benefactors and also with the help of King Ferdinand of Spain who was a Catholic.   The Church was built on a cave, where the Virgin Mary had appeared to a bird hunter.  In 1609, the Novitiate was founded at the Priory for both the Maltese and Sicilians.  In the 19th century, Secular Clerics were studied at the Priory, where it was possible for them to obtain a doctorate.  The Church has always been an apostolic centre for the Maltese.  In 1999, the statue of Our Lady shed tears of blood. 

Prior: Rev. Raymond Gatt OP

Telephone: 21 454592

Fax: 21 450503

Mass Schedule for weekdays: 6.00a.m., 7.30a.m., (12.15pm in winter), 6.30p.m.

Mass Schedule for Sundays and Feast Days: 7.00a.m., 8.30a.m., 10.00a.m, 11.15a.m. (in English)