Historical Landmarks

The Dominicans came to Malta from Sicily about the middle of the 15th century, and settled in Rabat.

1473 - The first house of the Order of Preachers in Malta, dedicated to Our Lady of the Grotto, was declared a formal priory by the General Chapter of the Order, held at Basle.
1528 - Dominicans from Rabat set up a house in Vittoriosa when they were given a chapel dedicated to the Annunciation.
1536 - The house at Vittoriosa was canonically erected as a priory.
1569 - Dominicans from Vittoriosa set up a house in the new city of Valletta, with the official title of St Mary of Porto Salvo.
1571 - By papal Bull of Pius V, the church of Porto Salvo was raised to the status of Parish Church for all the people of Valletta.
1609 - The Novitiate was canonically erected at the Priory of Our Lady of the Grotto, Rabat.
1612 - The house of Porto Salvo, in Valletta, was canonically erected as a priory.
1816 - The three priories of the Dominican Order in Malta were recognized as the Congregation of St Pius V.
1838 - The Maltese Dominican Province of St Pius V was canonically erected.
1909 - A house was started at Sliema, dedicated to Jesus of Nazareth.
1945 - Another house was started at Gwardamangia, dedicated to Our Lady of the Rosary of Fatima.
1948 - The Dominicans took over Flores College and renamed it St Albert the Great College.
1960 - The house at Sliema and the house at Gwardamangia were both canonically erected as priories.
1961 - The Maltese Dominicans started a mission in Brazil dedicated to St Martin de Porres.
1968 - A new parish was erected at Gwardamangia to be run by the Dominican Fathers of the Church of Our Lady of the Rosary of Fatima.
1973 - A new parish was erected at Sliema and entrusted to the Dominican Fathers of the Church of Jesus of Nazareth.
1996 - The Maltese Dominicans started a house in Sukth, Albania.
1998 - On January 14th, the Vicariate of St Martin de Porres was incorporated in the newly-created Province of Bartholomew de las Casas in Brazil.
2000 - The brothers in Albania built a new house in Durres where they moved from Sukth.
2006 - The Province is graced by the appointment of two of its members to the Episcopal Order: Fr George Frendo as Auxiliary Bishop of the Archdiocese of Tirana – Durres, and Fr Paul Cremona as Archbishop of the Archdiocese of Malta.